throughthelookingglass
about
To be honest there is nothing much about me worth knowing. I live in an island, enjoys being a photographer at times and dance like no one else business. Thats all. I can't think what to write for now so it just stays like this. Welcome to the little life of mine and lets try not to get utterly bored, shall we?

archives


We're all mad here


Reminder for self
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 @ 7/30/2014 11:43:00 PM

19th Century Literature
Required Readings:

George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss (Oxford)--sounds awfully thick and boring

Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South (Norton) ---sounds equally awful, thick, not so sure about boring but tittle is dubious.

Stephen Greenblatt et al., The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume E: The Victorian Era (9th edition) --hope it's interesting...

H. Rider Haggard, She (Oxford) --heard before but small consolation.

20th Century Literature
Required Readings:

James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916; Penguin, edited by Seamus Deane) ---always want to read it...hopefully no sweat.

*Luigi Pirandello Six Characters in Search of an Author (1921) ---sounds like something I will read and think about.

*T. S. Eliot The Waste Land (1922) ---I know him! V.boring poet though...

Virginia Woolf To the Lighthouse (1927; Oxford World's Classics, edited by David Bradshaw)--Nice to read not easy to understand.

*Harold Pinter The Birthday Party (1958) -MUAHAHA we meet again phew!

Winterson Jeanette Oranges are Not the Only Fruit (1985; Grove Press)---HAHHA read before but forgot sian...

EN3224 Course Reader (on sale at the Forum Co-Op Bookstore)

Post Colonial Literature &Theory...ok there are no books for this case but a lot of required readings.

This feels like my "REAL" first year as a literature student. Told myself that it is NOW that I am really going to start working hard. Should not be too crazy although I am v. worried about all the literature modules. 19th C sounds difficult but if I put in hard work can do well. 20th C is very very very exciting for me because it is the other literature module I wanted badly (the other one being Romanticism) which I got. Need spark to do well I think, because I'm sure most people read most of the books there as well. Pity I don't have AC students- they did "Orange" and I could be forced to read it again beforehand. Post C theory though....sigh its not any of my choices but to look on the bright side, seminar style don't sound too bad.

NM1101E- new media/mass comm-ish module and GEK15smth about Einstein and Quantum Mechanics should act as a nice balance to all the crazy literature content that I will be consuming. However cannot take for granted that NM1101E is a level 1000 module because most y1s are v.smart too. Also, remember what happen to SE1101E..?! B! WTS die aliens die.

I spoke to a graduating literature senior and he warned me about how content heavy this major is compared to others (he mentioned a list of slacker majors hahahaha) and he told me that it is best I take it very seriously (which I do!) and not be involved in too many other activities (which I dont!). Anyway, I don't really like to listen to advice. Will see what happens after this semester because if it all goes well, I am suppose to be taking on the role of project director on a YEP trip to India :). To be in charge of a team is no small feat but at the same time, I am doing this to prove that:

1. People overrate leadership roles.

2. I can handle this shit.

3. I can totally handle this shit and holding onto leadership roles won't drive me crazy.

Ok I am very pissed off with 1. actually because I feel like its an excuse to make people sound important and these people are my friends that pangseh me hahahaha whenever we have outings like "oh im sorry I really can't making im overseeing (blablabla insert v.important and pretentious sounding event here) " whatever man. Ok i believe you the first time, the second time but like after all this time?

not always. (that's a HP pun if anyone here gets it! lol lol) maybe I need new friends. Kidding! So I want to try a taste of leadership (the one in JC not counted) and maybe I will be the one sounding v.important and pretentious instead I mean, more so than my usual already v.v.impt and pretentious self. In fact, I will like to mention that I am actually also rather surprised that I could land myself the role without any prior experience but instead by simply acting v.impt and p. (im tired of spelling the whole damn thing) during the interview.

xoxo

Very Important & Pretentious aka VIP,
me.