throughthelookingglass
about
To be honest there is nothing much about me worth knowing. I live in an island, enjoys being a photographer at times and dance like no one else business. Thats all. I can't think what to write for now so it just stays like this. Welcome to the little life of mine and lets try not to get utterly bored, shall we?

archives


We're all mad here


before I go for lecture....
Friday, November 8, 2013 @ 11/08/2013 11:12:00 AM

Advertising works in surprising and subtle manners. As much as I want to think myself as someone who is a rational, determined and caring individual, I am a victim of conspicuous consumption. Even though I have not been shopping over the past few months, looking through the Today's newspapers made me realized that the dream is here...


Sigh.... even though I don't have the cash, a girl can dream right? It's always like this...once exam pressures start to kick in, one is more likely to fall into the traps of escapism. Coincidentally, I just handed in a paper about that ! HAHA it happens to be one of the theme in Breakfast at Tiffany's which is one of my favourite book that we happen to be doing right now (together with Volpone, Northanger Abbey and A Raisin in the Sun). I really think I can pull off the black slouchy blazer and the leather red pants and those boots!

Funny how my obsession with Audrey Hepburn when I was 14, is coming back into a full circle now. Back then, when Borders was still standing tall and proud at Wheelock Place (I feel like I'm turning into one of those old people that reminisce about places that no longer exist and are torn down but I still eagerly mentioned them) I read the short novella at one sitting on one of those squishy armchairs! It's no wonder Borders went bankrupt :(

HAHAHA to study Truman Capote intellectually(?) now makes a lot of difference of course. Or so I will like to think..ah the Maniac Pixie Girl Dream. I was equally obsessed with the song "Moon River" too! I still know all the lyrics by heart and it even inspired me to buy my third CD album! I only have a total of 6 CDs I know I know... in this order:

1. Disney Movies Soundtrack (brought when I was 7)
2. Britney Spears Greatest Hits and others (brought when I was 10)
3. Classical Music (14 years old I think..?)
4. New York Jazz and Lounge Music ( I remember wearing my Crescent uniform with Ester to visit HMV after school. It used to be located at the Heeren but of course, that too no longer exist today! O' modernization ye stabbed my beating heart!)
5. A Rush of Blood to the Head from Coldplay
6. The Very Best of the Smiths

I think if my taste in Music is reflective of whole I am, I've been very consistent all this time. I still like Disney Princess movies hahaha even though the feminist in me now know how absurd some of it may be, Britney Spears is still back with her latest single 'work it bitch!'  and though the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys are now gone, I find the song 'wannabe' really helpful to me when I gym.

3&4 marks the period of my awkward adolescence when I became a pretentious snob whom was only interested in watching 'art house' films and reading critically acclaimed books. I don't know how it happened but it did.

5&6 is definitely the kind of mainstream music that I am finally comfortable with. I'm no longer trying very hard to fit in or out. I genuinely enjoy these songs!