throughthelookingglass
about
To be honest there is nothing much about me worth knowing. I live in an island, enjoys being a photographer at times and dance like no one else business. Thats all. I can't think what to write for now so it just stays like this. Welcome to the little life of mine and lets try not to get utterly bored, shall we?

archives


We're all mad here


Until the very end.
Friday, July 15, 2011 @ 7/15/2011 09:35:00 PM

I don’t know what I am supposed to be doing now. If there is any illness called post-Harry Potter depression well, that will be adequate since it’s precisely what I am suffering from. I mean honestly, it has really been a MAJOR part of my childhood. I’ve always liked reading but never fell in love with any sort of book until I picked up my first copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. *cues music when Harry first picked up his wand* I doubt anyone will be reading this post since it hardly interesting but I think its better that I reflect on it. Some sort of closure I supposed.




I never cried so much for a book before either… I know it sounds pretty stupid to some, crying over a silly book. But to me, its not just any book, the whole experience of growing up with my favourite characters Harry Ron and Hermione has simply been well, magical. I cannot expect one to understand how much they actually influenced me in my life since I wasn’t always that outspoken all along. OMG this is going to sound like an essay…. Please forgive me :D



It taught me so many things, about courage, friendship, loyalty and above all, the importance of love. Another reason why I probably will never give up reading is because the exhilaration and joy I’ve gained from reading this series makes me never give up hope for the chance that I will once again pick up another book I sincerely love. I really can’t believe its all ending already. Part of me knows that deep down, the reason why I’m clinging on it so desperately is because I recognize it as my childhood and I don’t want it to disappear. It’s all part of growing up isn’t it? To the scary world out there…gosh but Harry, Ron and Hermione did it!



I don’t think I have time ever to do a full power review of it since there is WAY too much that I liked about it. Harry, my favorite character in the book and Ron being my favourite character when watching the movie, I already started missing them dearly. I’ve always like the both of them the best, followed by Ginny, Hermione, Luna, Fred and George, Sirius, Neville and surprise surprise Professor Snape. Curious, I never ranked my characters before when reading through the series ( I thought that they were all equal well-loved characters) but I guess after all is over I am able to clearly state it out.




Harry, because in case you didn’t know the books are called Harry Potter and the (filled in the blank) for a reason. He is the main protagonist! How to not love him!? I’ve always imagined him to be what you say the Chosen One. Ron, because he is most like myself (lol) realistic and funny ; Rupert Grint really portrayed him brilliantly giving him an extra bonus as the joy and humor of the book. Ginny because of her strong personality, how she became more like herself over the period of time. And Hermione…. I never really like teacher’s pet character (so her ranking as 4th hehe) but otherwise little-miss-perfect to complete the trio.


I won’t go on for this because honestly, it will never end but rather I shall give my take on the final installation of the movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. Spoiler Alert!

David Yates really tried to stay loyal to the book. That is one thing for sure. Deathly Hallows delivers an accurate summary of the general gist of the story, considerable amount of fantastic acting by the cast and stunning visual effects that surely does not disappoint. Fans however might be unhappy to notice the slight tweaks in between here and there (Lavender death?! Ron and Hermione kiss, etc..) Well, you cant have all the good things I supposed.




Alan Rickman’s performance as Professor Snape was really outstanding. I cannot imagined it any way better. In fact, every of his onscreen moments exceeds my expectations as how I visualized it in the book. However, this is not to say that I was sorely disappointed by the fight between Mrs Weasley and Bellatrix, the missing action between the teachers of the school and Voldy- in general most of the fighting scenes were highly minimized, lacks dramatic tension and coolness that I had imagined when reading the book. Maggie Smith and Julie Walters (Professor McGonagall and Mrs Weasley characters) are brilliant actresses wished they had more scenes. Nevertheless, I think Yates was going for more of the emotional kind of direction rather than flashy and gory. Which is why the King Cross segment, the walk into Forbidden Forest and Snape’s memories were REALLY WELL-DONE.




Now on a side note, fans of Matthew Lewis are going to love the movie. His portrayal of Neville Longbottom was EPIC! LIKE SERIOUSLY EPIC. The audience in my theater, was a lively lot and kept cheering when he sliced the snake into half, fought the bad guys and yeah well almost every part. I wasn’t surprise to catch myself muttering his lines in the book too “I’ll join you when hell freezes over Dumbledore’s Army!!”


Speaking of the audience, they were MAD about Potter. If you think I’m a crazy fan you cannot be more wrong. My extent is nothing compared to theirs. A bunch of them dressed up as wizards and witches, a bunch of them brought posters, and the whole lot of them was pretty much crazy over the famous movie scenes. They kept cheering/clapping/sobbing like really exuberantly I was nothing compared to them. I think even one point in time I was slightly cringing at their over-enthusiastic reactions.


Scene: Ron and Hermione kisses on screen.
Audience Response: Crazy whooping and clapping all over, wolf-whistling can be heard and one guy even shouted “ Yeah you got the girl!” OMG. Zoey and I exchanged mortified looks.

For me, I am never one who does such antics in the public so I kept quiet the whole time, silently thinking and anticipating the lines of the characters, basking in the glory of it all. It truly was a fitting end to the whole phenomenon and just as Rowling herself puts it “whether by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you back home”.